As Heraklion used to suffer from water shortages, it was essential to bring running water in the city. Both Venetian and Ottoman drinking fountains were constructed for utilitarian reasons.
One of the fountains that you may often have passed by but never noticed, is the Fontana Sagredo – located now next to the city’s Municipality, the Loggia.
Image credit: cretanbeaches.gr
This fountain was built by the Duke of Crete, Giovanni Sagredo between 1602 – 1604. It served the purpose of catering for the nobles’ needs, who daily gathered at the Noblemens Club (Loggia)
The Sagredo Fontana was originally on the west side of St Titus Church.
The fountain was adorned with a female figure standing between two columns holding a club and a shield in her hands. Gerola believed that this figure depicted Crete.
Sagredo planned to expand the aqueduct to the arsenals, but his plans were executed by the next Duke of Crete. (Giovanni Battista Michael)
The quality of the water was not good, and for this reason, when Fontana Morosini was constructed, the Sagredo fountain was connected to it.
Gerola, during his travel to Crete, had photographed the fountain with a beautifully adorned basin. This was unfortunately destroyed during bombing in World War II.
The Sagredo fountain, 1900-1905 (G Gerola, Vikelaia Municipal Library, Heraklion)
During Loggia’s restoration works, the fountain relief was built into the northern wall.
Although the fountain is not in perfect state, the inscription remaining reminds us who constructed it.
CURA SAGREDI PROFLUIT DUCIS (this water flows thanks to the ministrations of Duke Sagredo).
As inscribed on the Sagredo Fountain (R. Behaeddin, Vikelaia Municipal Library, Heraklion)
Find it on the google map