The church of Saint John the Baptist
The church of Saint John the Baptist and dates back all the way to the 13th century.
It belonged to the Franciscan Brotherhood and has gone under a series of modifications.
It was turned into a mosque during the Ottoman times and afterwards it was turned into a warehouse.
As per information by history.heraklion.gr, after the Muslims left Heraklion, the monument was declared as “exchangeable” and it was sold.
In 1931, an issue of a newspaper states that it was used to accommodate refugee families and afterwards it was rented.
A large section of the church was destroyed during World War II bombings.
Today the building is considered unstable and is abandoned.
Located at the corner of 1821 Street and Karteros Street.
Sources and further reading: